Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ingmar Bergman

My last post probably came off as condescending. It was. However, I will avoid that route this time in favor of something more positive. If you are looking for me to give an update on myself, here it is: I am fine, 'Nuff said. The real reason I decided to post was to profess my growing admiration for Ingmar Bergman. I know, he didn't live the most wholesome life, but the man is a genius. I just finished his movie The Seventh Seal. Not long ago, I watched The Virgin Spring. In the German and Scandinavian Cinema class that I took a few semesters ago I also watched Fanny and Alexander, Persona, and Wild Strawberries. After viewing some of Bergman's films, I can definitely say he is one of my favorite directors (Fritz Lang in second and Lars von Trier in a distant third). There are many others that deserve praise, but I would prefer to focus on Ingmar. Really, if you haven't seen any of his movies you should start with either The Virgin Spring, The Seventh Seal, or Wild Strawberries. After having watched these movies, I added more of his movies to my queue on Netflix and moved them to the top of the list. I will be sure to enjoy Bergman's films for some time because only a few are available online. With that said, I hope you take this seriously and WATCH some of his films.

No comments: